It’s back! The Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day will be on September 18th this year. Museum Day brings together museums, zoos & cultural centers from all 50 states to offer free admission to all Museum Day ticket holders. Museum Day represents a national commitment to access, equality and inclusion.
Museum Day goes beyond getting visitors through museum doors—it acts as a springboard to empower and help advance the hopes and ambitions of the public, particularly school-aged children and those in underrepresented communities.
This year, Museum Day will celebrate Earth Optimism.
Earth Optimism Programming Ideas:
- Host a lecture or panel discussion about social environmental justice
- Screen a film in which the environment plays a key role
- Host an exhibition with a focus on its environmental themes
- Host a crafts booth that allow those to create a piece using sustainable materials
- Create a scavenger hunt of pieces in your collection that showcase earth optimism
- Host a nature walk among your organization’s grounds