It’s back! The Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day will be on September 17th this year.
Museum Day brings together museums, zoos & cultural centers from all 50 states to offer free admission to all Museum Day ticket holders. Museum Day represents a national commitment to access, equality and inclusion.
Museum Day goes beyond getting visitors through museum doors—it acts as a springboard to empower and help advance the hopes and ambitions of the public, particularly school-aged children and those in underrepresented communities.
Museum Day shines a spotlight on incredible arts, culture, sciences, innovation and history exhibits across the country. Join us as we celebrate the American Experience – the theme of this year’s event.
Museum Programming Ideas:
- Host an exhibition with a focus on local arts and culture
- Screen a film in which aspects of American culture such as travel / environment / education / social justice play a key role
- Host a crafts booth that allows guests to create a piece using local materials
- Create a scavenger hunt of pieces in your collection that showcases the American Experience
- Host a nature or historical walk among your organization’s grounds