SwagFit Challenge Day One: Getting In Shape –>Wanna Join?
My son is now 5 and my old justification of “it’s just baby weight” doesn’t cut it any more. I have 30 days until we go to the beach (yes a bathing suit!) so I have decided to make that my goal…back in shape in 30 days. I won’t lose all of the weight, but I will atleast look better in a bathing suit….LOL!
To make this fun I decided to entice you guys to do it with me and put up a little “incentive”. Every person who posts a comment about their status everyday this month will receive a $5 Amazon gift card. I know it isn’t much but this is just an “incentive” to keep you going!
Each night I will post my status, simply post a comment with yours (what you ate, exercise, etc) – that is it! Hopefully this will help us all stay accountable and keep us on target!
Click the “Read More” for the rest of the story!
This little challenge will run until June 28th, 2011. Winners will be announced on June 29th, 2011.
My hope is that everyone will post an update of what they did that day. What you ate, how much you excercised, etc. There is no set rules of what you need to do, only to track it. By having to write each day what you do, makes you want to do something to write about. Besides you will rethink that treat if you have to write it down….well at least I will! Days off are fine, everyone needs a break. You can not comment 5 days and still count for the $5 Amazon gift card. This is for more fun, the gift card is only an incentive.
It’s summer time. Time to get outside and have some fun. Use this as a reason to go play with the kids, take a walk, go hiking, so canoeing. Find things to do – it’s all about having fun and getting in shape!
I have never been what you would call the skinny girl, but I am also not extremely overweight. More than anything I want to get back in shape. I spend WAY too much time at a laptop and it takes a toll on your body.
Right before I had my son I was in the best shape of my life (age 32). I have never been a big person on working out (not effectively anyways) but somehow for me it finally clicked how to get in shape and now I seem to have forgotten everything I had learned. I didn’t have a trainer or a gym membership. I simply started running everyday and eating less/ more healthy foods.
The problem I have, as I am sure many of you do to, no time – no energy. But as they always say “you have to MAKE time” and once you get going the energy usually comes along with it. That is what I plan to do, devote atleast 30 minutes – 1 hour each day for exercising. I know if I can get back in shape, I can keep it so its booty camp time for me. Finding an hour each day is going to be tough, but I feel like if I can do this for one month I can drop into maintenance mode and 30 minutes will suffice after that.
I understand many have more to lose than I and will have more of a challenge finding the time. I am hoping my doing this will get others moving in the right direction as well. Even if you can’t devote that much time, try to strive for 20 minutes. It’s all about getting on the right path and finding what works for you!
Long story short when got in shape before it was because I ran/jogged/walked alot (and didn’t have a kid). Before my dog would go with me but she is now 13 and simply can’t do it anymore and I have felt guilty going without her because she was my running mate.
I finally figured out how I was going to go running last week. My son rides his bike and I jog along….keeping up with him is a challenge in itself! Besides we always pick her up on the last lap and take her for a walk which she loves. If you have small kids, put them in the stroller and go for a long walk instead of running!
Honestly another problem I have is motivation. I had one of the most spectacular places to run – Davis Island, FL and Bayshore Dr. Now I live in a suburb – not NEARLY as pretty. Back then I wanted to go running, here not so much. I found a way to bypass that too. Last time my son and I played “I spy” so I am hoping to find games we can play or if he isn’t going, just plug in my MP3 player and “get lost” for a little while. I also plan to find nature walks around us we can explore!
For me this is all about getting outside and moving!
– Put on fitness clothes every morning. I work at home so instead of lounge clothes or jeans & t shirt (as usual) I plan to get up and get dressed in fitness clothes everyday. This seems to help motivate me and makes it easier if I get a itch to work out.
– Make Sunday “Prep Day”. I plan to spend one hour prepping healthy snacks (fruits and veggies) and grilling chicken or other lean meats to keep on hand. I find eating healthier is easier if you don’t have to spend time cooking every day. Having items ready makes it a lot easier!
– Wear my freakin ShapeUps. I actually have a practically new pair that I haven’t really worn (I know its sickening). Now is the time to use them. Besides I wore them the other day running and didn’t get shin splints! If you don’t have a pair, put tennis shoes on everyday, anything to make you feel motivated!
– Stop feeling guilty. This is a big one for me. I actually feel guilty for taking time for myself because I have a family and a blog to take care of it. I have to learn they will both survive without me for a little time each day.
– Just do it. Big part of my plan is to actually get off my tush and just do it. I plan to run three times a week for now and hopefully get it up to four or five.
– Get those weights out. I have a Kettlebell so I plan to use it (in house) two days a week – 20 minutes. I also found keeping weights around made it easier to use them. I actually would watch TV and play with a little dumbell or stretchy band thing.
– Get my Wii out. I am going to pull out that balance board and use it. I feel having alternative methods for working out around makes it easier. Every little bit helps!
– Get back to Pilates. Stretching and connecting to your muscles really helps speed it up the training process. I found before just relaxing and stretching for a few minutes each day really helps keep you limber and in tune.
– Only weigh myself once. For me I am pretty muscular so I gain weight before I lose it. I plan to NOT weigh myself but once before and once at the end of the month. Hopefully not seeing it will keep me motivated!
As you can see I have lots of “stuff” to work out with. I also hope we can explore working out WITHOUT stuff. If you know any creative ways, share them!
Now it’s your turn. You know my story and how I plan to get back in shape now I want to hear yours! Post your story and your goals and any motivational tips you may have. Simply post a comment and let’s keep each other motivated!