Mornings can be quite chaotic. Even though it’s summer that doesn’t mean you don’t have jobs and other places to go. Factor in everyone in the house trying to get ready at the same time, fighting for the space in the bathroom, digging through the clean laundry that has yet to be put away and trying to get out the door to start their days.
Whether it be for school or work, it can take some time to get ready and out that door. The good news is that it is possible for each and every person in your house to get ready and out the door in 10 minutes or less. The bad news is that it takes a bit of patience and consistency to make it happen.
Simple Steps to Get Ready and Out the Door in 10 Minutes or Less
- Have the alarm clock set for the same time each and every morning. Routines start the same each and every time. That’s the true beauty of a routine…no variance, the same simple steps over and over again. If you and your family get your internal clock in sync with your alarm clock, then your bodies will be ready to wake up when that alarm rings.
- Plan out your outfit the night before. So much time is wasted trying to filter through all the outfits to decide on what to wear. Save some precious time in the morning and have everyone in your family pick out their outfits the night before. That way, once the alarm clock rings, everyone can jump out of bed and jump right into their outfits for the day. One less worry to have drain the time of each and every person when they wake up.
- Meal plan the morning breakfast options for the week. If breakfast time is a huge deal in your house, meal plan ahead to ensure that you’re prepared to create and cook those meals that everyone can eat and enjoy. It’s possible to have pancakes, eggs, and even sausage with enough meal planning and prepping ahead of time. There are so many food items that can be made ahead for the week that it’s important to meal prep as far ahead as you possibly can. The more that you do the “hard” work prior to cooking, the more time that you’ll save as well.
- Pack your purse and have your children pack their book bags the night prior. No more running around in the morning looking for everything that you “swear” was just sitting by the front door. Pack up your briefcase or your purse and have your children do the same. That way, when it’s time to head out the door to the bus or the car, each of you can leave with peace of mind knowing that you’ve packed up everything that you need the night prior. And if you remember something in the morning that you possibly forget to add, then you’ve got the time to get it packed then, too.
- Give your kids a countdown. While you may know the time frame and what is expected, your children may not have any concept of time when it comes to understanding just how much time they have left before walking out the door. When there are less than 5 minutes of time left, let your kids know that they have 5 minutes remaining. Remind them again at 2 minutes, and then 30 seconds. By giving them that time frame, it will help them to understand the urgency of getting ready and out the door in time.
Rest easy knowing that there are simple steps that can be done to get out the door in 10 minutes or less. Try a few of the suggestions above and see if they work well for you and your family. The more structure that you have on a daily basis, the better chance your family and you will be able to get out the door on time each and every day.
Also check out Fun Tools to Help Your Kids Be on Time!